‘If you are not sure, don’t open the door’
· Make sure you can see who is at the door before you answer it. Where possible fit a spy-hole to identify callers. Alternatively talk to them through an adjacent windows
· Don’t feel pressured into opening the door. Don’t feel you are being rude, genuine callers won’t mind
· Set up passwords with your utility companies, genuine callers will need to recite this password to you
· Don’t use telephone numbers on ID cards, if the person isn’t genuine the ID and the telephone number won’t be either. Obtain telephone numbers direct from the phone directory. Alternatively make a list of your important numbers and keep them near the phone
· Look out for those who are vulnerable within your family, or neighbourhoods
· In Northamptonshire many agencies have come together to form the Doorstep crime Action Network (DAN). If you have any suspicions or concerns that doorstep rogue traders or distraction burglars are operating in your community or targeting someone you know, please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated doorstep crime hotline: 0345 23 07 702
· For help finding a reliable local trader, check out the Trading Standards service ‘Buy with Confidence‘ scheme.